Skip to Main Content

Work While Studying

International students in the U.S. have different categories of employment, including on-campus jobs, Curricular Practical Training, and Optional Practical training. Students are eligible for on-campus employment first, and can find a position at Queens College at the library, at the Learning Commons (tutoring), in one of the theaters, the gym, and elsewhere. These positions are great ways of getting to know your college and community better, all while making a little extra money.

In later years, students take advantage of Curricular Practical Training, an internship that is tied directly to a specific course or curriculum. In senior year, or immediately after graduation, students use their Optional Practical Training to work full-time or part-time in their field of study. This is limited to 12 months, with a 24-month extension for students in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) field.

As you navigate your career and employment choices in the U.S., it’s important to consistently speak with the Office of International Students and Scholars to ensure that you are working in authorized positions and receiving career advising specific to your situation and major as an international student in the U.S.

Back to Top